Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My CHF dog is shaking with increased respiratory and heart…

Customer Question
My CHF dog is...

My CHF dog is shaking with increased respiratory and heart rate. the vet gave me injectable Lasix to give in emergencies. As a respiratory therapist I do not hear any fluid in his lungs. Is he in pain or cold? Whats the general opinion on shaking?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Wrylie. He's a 9 yr old Havanese

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Wrylie?

9 yrs in January

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wrylie?

He has had 3 episodes of CHF and spent time at the hospital in 40% O2 getting IV medications. He has been home now for a week and is taking just about every medication they have.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question. That is good that you have that experience from your career! You have a lot of good knowledge from that to apply here. I'll say this, if he's had 3 episodes of CHF previously, anytime he starts to have increased respiratory rate / effort / coughing / decreased energy - the concern has to be very high that he may be getting some pulmonary edema back from it. It can be present in amounts that are small enough to affect them and to not cause any obvious wet lung sounds. The use of Lasix is pretty safe with CHF patients. In cases that I'm managing, I'll tell owners to increase dosages / frequency of it if they think the breathing effort / rate is getting more pronounced for a day or two. Best case scenario is that it is getting fluid out before it becomes more of an issue. As far as worst case scenario, it gets them to need to use the bathroom more. Shaking could be due to pain or discomfort or distress. The distress could be from the CHF having a relapse.

How is Wrylie doing today?