Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My large dog, sheep dog/standard poodle, 90 lbs. tore open a…

Customer Question
My large dog, sheep...

My large dog, sheep dog/standard poodle, 90 lbs. tore open a new box of Rid X. Not sure if he ate any but Im sure some got in his mouth.or on his teeth. Anything special I should do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Rufus, He is 4 years old. He is crazy.....he eats everyghing. Its making me crazy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Rufus?

4

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 27 days ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

The good news is that RID-X is not truly toxic. It is a mix of enzymes (lipase, and amylase are often in it) and bacteria colonies to help break down proteins, grease and debris in septic systems.

These gastrointestinal irritants and can lead to drooling, vomiting and diarrhea with a loss of appetite. We do not recommend inducing vomiting in cases of possible ingestion as that only leads to further irritation of the esophagus.
At this point you just need to watch Rufus for any symptoms.
If he starts to drool or vomit, or seems nauseous we can do some things at home to ease his stomach and gastrointestinal irritation.
To try and settle his stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. These can be used for several days as necessary as they are quite safe.
Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice. Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, not pie filling, just pumpkin, to each meal for fiber if he has any mucousy diarrhea. Feed small meals several times a day.
Once he's feeling better then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week or so to get him converted back to regular food.
If he continues vomiting, even after the acid reducing medication is given, refuses to eat or has explosive diarrhea it is best he see a veterinarian for an examination, injectable medications and oral medication like sucralfate to coat his gastrointestinal system. But any of that is really unlikely.
If he shows no symptoms there may be no need for you to do anything.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian