Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

7 year old male Shih tsu. Last few weeks he has trouble

Customer Question
7 year old male...

7 year old male Shih tsu. Last few weeks he has trouble jumping up on things but most noticeably he no longer stands up on his hind legs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

7 year old male Shih tsu no longer stands up on hind legs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

When my other dog mounts him in play he yelps. I can pick him up with no problem. He seems to tighten up in his back haunches.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

My vet says Addisons

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

It happened overnight. He is very playful and healthy. When we first noticed he would not eat or did not have ant interest in playing

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 28 days ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Why did your veterinarian think it is Addison's disease

How long has he not wanted to jump up on things?

Paul

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Just a few days. Took him to the emergency vet the day we noticed and our vet the next day. Emergency vet prescribed pain killers and muscle relaxers. Told us to have him rest. Our vet ran test and did x-rays and said he was de-hydrated.

Okay thanks

Not sure where Addison's disease comes in then

Paul

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thanks me neither

Ha ha

Great minds think alike

Okay well I agree with the pain thing

Likely a disc problem in the spine

The muscle relaxers will cause weakness and lethargy-> Does that fit with what you are seeing?

Paul

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Could it be his Achilles

That is a pretty uncommon injury in dogs so not likely

I still think it is a lower back disc problem and that he needs more time to heal up

Some of these take a long time

Paul

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian