Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

13 years old-he is having a very hard time getting up off…

13 years old-he is...

13 years old-he is having a very hard time getting up off the floor

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Blaze-13 tears old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

His eyes i have noticed under certain lighting has a greyish look to them

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Blaze. At his advanced age, there's going to be a significant amount of osteoarthritis making it painful to rise from a prone position. I can't rule out a general weakness from any number of metabolic disorders which would need to be clarified by his vet but if he's otherwise normal, pain is most likely the cause.

The grey you're seeing is most likely to represent nuclear sclerosis - age-related clouding of the lens of the eye. Sclerosis isn't the same as cataract which interferes with sight. Sclerosis doesn't interfere with sight. Blaze's vet can distinguish between sclerosis and cataract.

We use a multimodal approach to osteoarthritis in our dogs - dietary management, nonsteroidal antiinflammatory pain relief, neutraceuticals, life-style changes and stem cell therapy. When used concomitantly these approaches should synergize and provide the best control of symptoms. For example, Blazemight show considerable improvement if you add fish oil to his diet. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil are anti-inflammatory. I use the cost-effective generic human fish oils and dose them at 20 mg/lb daily of the EPA in the fish oil. You'll find the amount of EPA on the label of the fish oil product. There are also products containing only EPA.

Avoid flax oil because it is poorly bioavailable to dogs. They can't metabolize it properly.

If you prefer, there are diets that are extremely high in omega-3 fatty acids. Hill's Prescription Diet j/d is one such diet.

Many vets feel that injections of Adequan (polysulfated glycosaminoglycan) work better than oral neutraceuticals such as glucosamine/chondroiton sulfate or the over the counter Cosequin or prescription Dasequin (please see here: http://www.amazon.com/Nutramax-Cosequin-PLUS-Chewable-Tablets/dp/B003ULL1NQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1432474254&sr=1-1&keywords=cosequin). Adequan is injected into Blaze weekly for a number of weeks at his vet's discretion. You can read more about Adequan here: http://www.adequancanine.us/

Regenerative stem cell therapy has come into its own and is now available for addressing osteoarthritis in dogs . Please see Vet-Stem's website here for more information:***@******.*** The regenerative stem cells are created from Blaze's fat cells and are capable of differentiating into a variety of tissue types including tendon, ligament, bone, cartilage, and muscle and have been proven to reduce pain and inflammation. I understand, however, that such an invasive procedure may not be appropriate at his age.

We have to suspect that just as in people, geriatric osteoarthritis in dogs is painful. If a prescription nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen, meloxicam or the new grapiprant isn't sufficient for controlling pain, please consider adding a well-tolerated narcotic such as tramadol to these therapies mentioned above. All of these drugs are available from Blaze's vet. Aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb of body weight with food every 12 hours can be helpful in a pinch as can be acetaminophen dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily. The two analgesics can be given concurrently and provide better analgesia than either drug alone. If acetaminophen is given for more than 5 consecutive days, it's best to reduce the dose to 5 mg per pound of body weight twice daily.

Weight reduction is essential. The less weight Blaze's joints need to carry, the better.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
should we at this point be considering putting him down-?
He has for the last three days been going to the bathroom all over the house-Im concerned he is loosing ability to hold it

I would prefer that he was given a complete physical exam by his vet before deciding upon such an irreversible action. There are quite a few reasons for inappropriate urination. He may suffer from a simple urinary tract infection that would respond to an antibiotic. He may, however, be urinary incontinent due to a neurologic disorder such as a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder); or urethral incontinence/weak urethral musculature. The former would be very difficult to treat while the latter could respond to conservative (medical) treatment.

I understand that every day is a gift with a 13 year old. It's unlikely that a cure is in the offing but perhaps conservative care is available. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian