Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My adult dog just randomly started humping a pillow for the…

Customer Question
My adult dog just...

My adult dog just randomly started humping a pillow for the last hour. He never humps and now he won’t stop. He keeps licking himself and then humping and goes back and forth.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Snickers

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
When he goes to lick himself he lays down but he’s still doing the jumping position. It’s like he can’t control it.
3/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your fellow Snicker's behavior.

This indicates he is experiencing some sort of pain/inflammation.

He is rubbing/licking in an attempt to help himself feel better, but the more he licks/rubs his penis the more irritated/traumatized it is becoming and the worse he feels.

This can can due to a urinary tract infection (pretty uncommon in males), crystals or calculi in his urinary tract, particularly his lower/distal urethra, hair or cloth caught around his prepuce or penis, or some sort of trauma to the area.

If he will let you look retract his prepuce and see if you can see anything caught on his penis/prepuce and remove it if you can.

But if you cannot see anything or cannot safely remove whatever is caught it is best he see his veterinarian for an exam and some diagnostic testing (urinalysis, catheterizing his urethra, radiographs and possibly an abdominal ultrasound).

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I didn’t see anything caught on him. Why would he randomly start having pain/inflammation when he was perfectly fine all morning?

Sudden causes of pain/inflammation could be a urinary tract calculus (stone) being passed or getting stuck as he tries to pass it, increased amounts of urine crystals being passed causing inflammation.

I understand that he seemed fine before this, but his sudden urge/need to lick/hump things means he is trying to get more comfortable because something happened suddenly that is causing him a lot of discomfort.

I highly recommend an exam by his veterinarian on an urgent basis.

If this episode suddenly seems to pass that may mean he was able to pass whatever was causing him discomfort, but my concern is that there may be more stones/crystals forming. And next time he may not be successful.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian