Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She just finished her 2nd heat cycle ever, and now doesn't…

She just finished her...

She just finished her 2nd heat cycle ever, and now doesn't want to eat and she threw up this morning. Do not know if she is sick, or if this is still effects of her going through heat cycle recently.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No, not to our knowledge. She is an inside dog and always in our site, but anything is possible I suppose.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Bella, born November of 2016

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?

Nope, otherwise she is healthy and happy

3/27/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I think that we are dealing with two separate things

The end of the heat cycle

Upset stomach

The latter is not related to the former

This is likely and hopefully just acute gastritis

Only vomited the one time?

Paul

Well, she just vomited for the 2nd time just now. Both times It's clear/yellowish liquid, nothing solid. She did eat food yesterday, but today she will only drink water. How long do I wait, or what do I watch for as a sign that she may need to see a vet in person?

Okay that confirms it

Lets do this:

No food today

Water and pedialyte are fine but not for two hours

Give Zantac at 1.0 mg/kg three times a day to settle the stomach

Update me in 2-3 hours time or sooner if vomiting persists

This is likely just acute gastirits

Okay?

Paul

Okay, got it and will do. Thank you SOO much

Very welcome

I will look for your update

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you:

I will stay with you till this is all sorted

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Great, thanks again. Be in touch soon.