Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 3 month old puppy refuses to poop or pee outside, Ozzy,

My 3 month old...

My 3 month old puppy refuses to poop or pee outside

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the puppy's name?

Ozzy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ozzy?

Just that we will take him outside for long periods of time and the moment we go inside is when he deficates also we do have another dog that is older who already knows to go outside

3/27/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

W​hen you bring him back in are you putting him in a crate or just letting him run around? If he does not go outside he will need to go back into his crate or he is going to go on the floor. Then in an hour, take him out of the crate, and take him back outside, and give him the command "go potty" or whatever you chose your command to be over and over. If he still does not go, back into the house into the crate. No coming into the house and playing until he goes potty outside.

I​n general, and in your particular case, it is going to be nearly impossible to house train this puppy without the crate training method.

S​ome dogs will always have to stay in a crate. Some dogs just have to use a crate during the house training stage. I have been a veterinarian for 20 years.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
We do have a crate and i actually just did that. I took him out, we have another dog that is trained to go outside so i made sure he saw that the other dog would then i took them both back inside and before i took a step inside he peed on the carpet right in front of me

C​an you carry him back inside? Do not let him walk on the floor. That is what I do. Carry him back into his crate.

A​lso pick him up out of his crate and carry him outside. No walking on the floor, in the house, until he has relieved himself outside.

H​e can not be trusted to walk on the floor in the house at this point.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
ok well the problem is he also has a history of defecating in his crate. Fairly frequently actually..

U​se a crate that is small. Small enough that if he defecates he will have to lay in it. I normally start with a small cat sized carrier. How much does he weigh and what size crate are you using?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
well its a bigger crate, he's only about 15 pounds right now, but we have a divider to shorten the cage length. When he HAS defecated in his crate, he usually ends up laying in it also, but i can shorten the cage
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
that's even when the crate is not shortened that he will lay in it. I've had to bathe him every day these past few days

T​ry shortening the cage so he can only turn around and lay down but not move away from any feces or urine if he goes in the crate. I am not going to have any magic fixes for you.

I can opt out and see if any other experts have ideas if you would like.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I think i will try that, I guess the last thing I'll ask is how can i encourage him when he IS outside to pee/poop?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
also if he does successfully pee or poop outside, do i still carry him to his crate or is that the only time he is free to play and walk inside?

Use a command and say it over and over. I say "go potty" but you can pick yours. Then give a food treat when he goes. If he happens to go in the house, take the feces and put it outside. Then take him to it and say the command. He will have to go about 30-60 minutes after eating and right now he should be fed three times a day. He will have to go after playing. He will have to go after drinking. The more he runs around outside, and moves, the more likely he is to go.

Y​es, if he goes potty outside he can walk into the house but, he must be supervised at all times. If you need to make a phone call, or take a shower, or go to the restroom for example, he can not be trusted for 5 minutes and must go in the crate.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok thank you, ***** ***** this works! I've been trying to find a regular routine and I think this could work well.

Try to take him out every hour to relieve himself. At his age he will not be able to hold it all night yet either. So set the alarm for 3:00-4:00 AM every night and take him out. In about another month he should be able to hold it all night.

O​nce he has had all his puppy shots, walks will help him relieve himself as well. Then you could do walks twice a day and that will help.

This should be the worst of it. It should get better so hang in there. : )

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Duly noted, thank you!

Y​ou are very welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian