Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my dog ate some metal mesh from a drywall patch kit.

Hi. I think...

Hi. I think my dog ate some metal mesh from a drywall patch kit. The piece is about 2"x1"

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Lucy

3/27/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since she ate it?

2- Any symptoms?

3- Why do you believe she ate it?

she ate it yesterday around 1:15 along with the spackle that was on top of it. I didn't notice the missing metal piece until now, but there is a roughly 2"x1" piece of the metal mesh that was ripped off and is missing
no symptoms

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, as you may already know the immediate concern is that the metal mesh could become obstructed or perforate the gastrointestinal tract; if it perforates the intestinal tract the outcome is usually fatal. For this reason, it is best to have your vet take a quick abdominal x-ray to see if she did swallow it. And, if she did is it moving along the intestinal tract or is it obstructed. In the meantime, do not induce vomiting. Change her diet to rice (75%) with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%); the idea is for the rice to bind the metal mesh and protect her gastrointestinal tract.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian