Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

We have a 3yr old Golden Retriever female which was a

We have a 3yr old Golden Retriever female which was a rescue,for about 3 months now.She has had intermittent runny brown stools and other times her stools are normal....we had her checked over by a vet when we got her,has been wormed and had relevant vaccinations,she is showing no signs of lethargy or vomiting and is otherwise happy. She was raised with other dogs in putrid conditions and Giardia comes to mind as maybe a cause?

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are concerned about your Golden Retriever.

I see she has been wormed, but no one wormer gets all parasites and not all parasites are worms. Has a stool sample been examined microscopically to be sure she is free of parasites?

You can try giving her probiotics, beneficial bacteria supplements. I like Fortiflora and Proviable, which are made just for dogs.

Giardia is hard to pick up even just looking at a stool sample but if a sample is sent to a lab it can be tested for.

You could try treating for Giardia with a course of fenbendazole or metronidazole. These are by prescription so you would have to get them from your veterinarian.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We haven't had a stool sample checked as yetthat was the next step.

I would do that, or try a course of treatment for Giardia if that is suspected, and/or try the probiotics.

Thank you for the great rating.

Please let me know how she is doing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?