Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been coughing and been very snotty for the last…

hi, my dog has been...
hi, my dog has been coughing and been very snotty for the last couple of months. First time we took her to the vet, they thought it might be a heart problem, so she got medication for that. Her coughing goes like this: cough - cough - retch, or just cough-cough-cough. She's also had a lot of yellowish greenish nasal discharge. A couple of weeks ago she got worse, with fever, didnt want to eat, didn't want to drink, so we took her to the vet again. This time they think it's a lung tumor, based on tracheal displacement in the x-rays. She got Prednisone and Dalacin. She seemed much better after starting the medication (which i guess is due to the antibiotics), but now she's gotten a very stuffed nose with a lot(!) of discharge. No fever.There is no visible tumor in the x-rays, just a displaced trachea. Do you think the vet is right in thinking this is a lung based tumor? I've been thinking it might be kennel cough or influenza that's developed into pneumonia. Is that unlikely?The dog in question is a 12 year old husky.
3/27/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I don't see a mass effect either and suspect that the tracheal displacment is an artifact due to taking the X-ray in expiration. I can be more accurate for you if I can see the ventral/dorsal views of the thorax (chest). Are these available? I do see air bronchograms which suggest a signifcant pulmonary infiltrate which could arise secondary to pulmonary edema (cardiogenic, non-cardiogenic), pneumonia, or other cellular infiltrates. Considering her nasal discharge, pneumonia should be an important consideration. I would ask Moon's vet to submit these films to a specialist veterinary radiologist for review. Most of us have such a radiologist on retainer. The cost to you should be minimal and the value immeasurable.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thank you for your reply, Dr. Salkin. I do not have other views of the the thorax unfortunately, but the fact that you also think pneumonia could be another possible explaination is very helpful. I will call up the vet and ask for a radiologist review of the x-rays, if they offer this service. If not, I will take to another vet for a second opinion. We have so far not been in charge of Moon's medical treatment, as we are in the process of adopting her from a kennel with 300 sleddogs, and i suspect that they value fast and low cost medical treatment over long term observation and multiple tests at the vets that's affiliated with the kennel.Thank you again for your thorough explaination.

You're quite welcome. I understand your logistical constraints at this time! Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.