Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog at two epic bars. It says 100% natural turkey used.

Has almonds and cranberries in...
My dog at two epic bars. It says 100% natural turkey used. Has almonds and cranberries in it. She’s eating a LOT OF GRASS and seems to have an upset stomach most of the night. The other ingredients are apple juice and seasonings (nutmeg, paprika, coriander, cumin, red pepper, garlic dehydrated onion and celery salt.
Should I rush her to the vet?
3/27/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear that her stomach is upset. The garlic and dehydrated onions could be a problem, but since they are at the end of the list it is probably a very small inconsequential amount. It sounds like she ate this more than an hour ago so I wouldn't induce vomiting. It doesn't sound like something I would rush to the vet for...(continued)

As for the upset stomach. When vomiting or diarrhea persist longer than 24 hours, she should be seen by her vet for fluids and electrolytes and medications to stop the vomiting and diarrhea. In the mean time you can help settle her stomach by offering Pedialyte for hydration and electrolyte balance and some canned pumpkin. You can also give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next 24 hours. It is a bland diet that can help while the stomach is getting back to normal.

To follow up on the garlic and onions, you could have your vet check a renal blood profile in 24 hours just to make sure everything looks normal.

okay, thank you! If she’s not feeling well by mid morning I will take her to the vet! That should be around the 24 hour mark!

You're welcome! It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night! (or day depending on what time zone you are in :)

Heath Wilkerson