Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate cut grass this morning around 10 and by noon he been…

He ate cut grass...

He ate cut grass this morning around 10 and by noon he been throwing up ...even water. He is 9 yr old golden lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Big guy he is 9. His was in good spirits most of day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Big?

His temp is fine.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
He did have access to water during the last 12 hours but no food. I had to go to work but upon my return found several places where it appeared his vomited the water and whatever bike was in his stomach
3/27/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi. Dr. W here. I'm sorry to here this. Did he vomit up all the grass?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
mixed with food. That was this morning . Signs he vomited most water and whatever was left in his stomach. He just drank water then about 10 min later vomited .
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Typing is fine

Ok I understand. As a rule of thumb, if the vomiting persists longer than 24 hours, he should be seen by his vet for fluids and electrolytes and medications to stop the vomiting and diarrhea. In the mean time you can help by waiting 4 hours to let the stomach settle and then offering Pedialyte for hydration and electrolyte balance and some canned pumpkin to help settle his stomach. You can also give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next 24 hours. It is a bland diet that can help while the stomach is getting back to normal.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I am wondering due to all rain the wet grass mixed with any dog feces that was added when weed eater, could that also be a factor?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
should I with hold any water till at least morning?

Yes sometimes feces can upset the stomach as well. That's definitely a possibility.

Normally I withhold food and water for at least 4 hours

However it's okay to go ahead and give something like Pepcid. That shouldn't upset the stomach.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok . I will wait 4 hrs then try some Pedialyte . Thank you. I was just concerned if I should take him to a vet now or wait till morning. I appreciate your assistance. Have a great evening.

You're welcome! It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night! (or day depending on what time zone you are in :)

Heath Wilkerson
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Well your answers were direct and clear which is not always easy to do via text. After working 14 hrs shift , I think
Big guy and I can get some rest for a bit. Thx

haha thank you! I appreciate that.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hi can you confirm 1 25 mg tablet per lb. so if he is 80lbs that is 2000 mg correct

0.25 mg/lb is the recommended dose for Pepcid, so that would be 20 mg for his weight

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson