Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10-month, 25 kg, labrador dog ate 15-20 grapes over the…

My 10-month, 25 kg...

My 10-month, 25 kg, labrador dog ate 15-20 grapes over the last 16 hours (staggered doses, I did not know they were toxic and found out incidentally when telling my mother how much the dog loved the grapes). I have taken her to the vet and she has advised 48 hours of IV fluids and deactivated charcoal; which has been commenced. The pup was showing no signs of toxicity when I dropped her off from what I can see. How often in your experience does the grape ingestion cause fatality when treated by the vet, I can find no information on statistics or even anecdotal stories about dog's who were treated and am very concerned. Many thanks.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the Labrador ate?

Yes, as above

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Labrador?

She has no allergies, is up to date with vaccinations and is normally otherwise fit and well and takes no regular medications

3/27/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Friend, when it comes to grape toxicity as far as statistics I don't think that you will find that. Some dogs are more sensitive than others; we know that once a dog ingests 0.7oz/kg this is when we tend to see renal failure. What this means is that for a dog that is 25kg she would need to ingest 17.5oz of grapes for renal toxicity to occur. Again, some dogs are more sensitive and it can happen with lower doses. If your vet has her on IV fluids and activated charcoal and if she only ate 15-20 grapes it is very likely that she will be okay.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian