Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just noticed my dog, Logan (Boxer mix), has a cut on her…

Hello, I just noticed...

Hello, I just noticed my dog, Logan (Boxer mix), has a cut on her foot (toe exactly). When I saw it was clean, but a little deep. I washed it with dial soap and water and have wrapped two large band-aids around it because she wants to keep licking it. I really don't think she would need stitches but I also read that after several hours stitches are not used. I plan on getting some wound ointment and proper bandage wrap to put on it tomorrow, but I don't want it to get infected since she is used to being outside walking in dirt.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is Logan bleeding a lot?

No, there was never any bleeding that I noticed and she will let me handle it and doesn't seem to be in pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. How old is Logan?

She is about 6 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Logan?

No, she has no medical issues, allergies, etc.

3/27/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Logan has a cut on her toe. I am sorry to hear about what happened. Are you able to tell me a little more about the cut such as if it is located on the bottom of the toe (i.e. pad of foot) or the top? Does the cut seem to go through the skin? Do you happen to know what caused the cut?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hello, my name is***** cut is on the top/side of one of the center toes on her back right foot. I don't know what caused the cut exactly, but she spends time in my backyard which is just grass, but I assume it happened there from a thorn or stick?

The thorn or stick would be my guess as well. This will likely form a scab tissue within the next 24 hours. It is small enough that the risk of infection penetrating in the wound is low. Cleaning the foot 2-3 times per day is recommended with an antiseptic solution. Chlorhexidine or betadine solution are both available over-the-counter at a human pharmacy and you can use one of those. Application of a triple antibiotic ointment would also help prevent infection. Monitor for redness that extends beyond the cut and swelling.

Otherwise, the goal is to try to keep her off dirt for the next 48 hours and prevent her from licking it. Also, it does not need to be bandaged unless she is going to get it dirty. Does that help answer your question?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I will purchase the products recommended to clean it and won't bandage it too much unless it seems necessary. Thank you for your detailed answer.

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian