Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I gave my dog some left over wonton soup. It had some of the…

I gave my dog...

I gave my dog some left over wonton soup. It had some of the noodle and little of the scallions should I be worried I gave her about a cup of the broth. She weighs 126 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

Should I be worried she just drank it

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

She just had it so she seems fine now I just realized my mistake. Is it bad for her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No she just drank it. It was from my bowl I had finished most of it and poured the broth in her bowl without thinking

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your dog eating normally?

She does eat normally I literally just fed her the wonton broth

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK, abnormal eating. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Theres no abnormal eating I just accidentally fed her wonton broth

3/27/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation with your girl. Does she have any known health issues or is she on any current medications?

No meds no issues
I just accidentally gave her what was left of my wonton soup. Should I be worried? Shes a*****bernard. She eats dry food normally, sometimes mixed with cans. She ocassionally eats my pizza crust

Alright. I wouldn't be worried about this. I'm glad that you realize that plants like scallions, onions, garlic, etc.. (those in the Allium family) have a dangerous component to them. The danger is magnified when larger amounts are eaten based on body weight. The danger happens when enough is eaten to damage enough red blood cells to cause an anemia situation. For a girl her size to eat one cup of soup that had scallions in it, I wouldn't blink an eye at this being a danger for her. If she was a 5 pound yorkie and she had eaten whole scallions then the situation would be getting my attention. There shouldn't be any issues here from this.

Thank you thats quite the relief!

I'm glad to help out. Thanks for being a knowledgeable owner and knowing that these again have the potential to be dangerous. Good job there! The other things in a house that I remind owners to avoid feeding their dogs are grapes, raisins, chocolate, and any thing that has sugar free xylitol in it. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?