Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Dog was fine earlier today and this evening she is standing,

Dog was fine earlier today and this evening she is standing, back arched and staring at the ceiling. She had a small bowel movement earlier today. I thought maybe anal glands so checked those and got some secretion out. She seems to be relaxing a little. Should I take her to ER vet or just watch her until am when regular vet is open? 14 yo female Yorkie with no Teeth. She is an old lady but been okay. She has struggled to eat since losing teeth several years ago but was fine u til this evening.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Dog was fine earlier today and this evening she is standing, back arched and staring at the ceiling. She had a small bowel movement earlier today. I thought maybe anal glands so checked those and got some secretion out. She seems to be relaxing a little. Should I take her to ER vet or just watch her until am when regular vet is open? 14 yo female Yorkie with no Teeth. She is an old lady but been okay. She has struggled to eat since losing teeth several years ago but was fine u til this evening.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: I have poked around abdomen and no pain. She is staring up and just standing there.
JA: OK. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mia
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mia?
Customer: She is old. She has walked like an elderly lady for some time so that isn’t new. She has never just stood and stared like this.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She seems to have relaxed and is laying down and resting now.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Mia is not feeling well. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She has a hernia but it doesn’t bother her. I poked around her stomach and she doesn’t react. So doesn’t appear to be related. She is 14 and no teeth so struggled to eat since her tongue hangs to one side. This isn’t new. She has been normal until this evening.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No to all questions in #2.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, when a dog is arching their back and staring at a wall or ceiling it is a sign of pain. Either abdominal pain or back pain. The fact that she is not vomiting and not painful in the abdomen it is likely back pain. Possible causes are a pinched nerve as a result of a bulging disc, arthritis, etc. or a combination of both.

In this case, unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. If this was my dog I would have her checked tonight by ER veterinarian. You see, if this is related to a bulging disc the sooner we start the patient on medication the better response to therapy we see and prognosis. In addition, it is very painful so prompt pain management is important. Do not give over the counter pain medication most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medication the attending veterinarian may need to use.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. She is resting now. I will get her in.

Fair enough.

You're welcome. :)