Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog keep choking like she’s going to vomit. But it also…

My dog keep choking...

My dog keep choking like she’s going to vomit. But it also sounds like a breathing thing. Then she stops then she starts. Once and awhile some clear fluid comes out. Do you k ow what this is or why it’s happening?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I’m aware of but she’s outside here a lot. I don’t care about the mess I’m afraid and do t k ow if I should go to a vet but I tend to be over protective

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

No she’s heathy otherwise

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
P
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
How long will this take?
3/27/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. I have just read your post. Are you still online?

Ok great. Do you by chance have a video of her doing this?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
That’s all I have. I dont know how to send it any other wsy

okay I'm sorry I don't see it. sometimes videos don't upload properly. If you like you can send it to***@******.*** and I can view it there

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok sending

OK I'll be watching for it and let you know when I get it

I'm sorry I never received the email. So let me ask...

Is it more like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvkoDCni3po

or this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mfXIC5uIT8

Hi I got the video. Watching it makes me suspicious for her heart. I think it would be best to take her in and have her vet listen to her heart and lungs to make sure she doesn't have fluid building in her lungs. The clear fluid that comes out sometimes could be coming from her lungs and she is occassionaly able to cough it up.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hi thank you I did she has heart failure

Ok that's what it looks like :( Did she get started on medication?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
We are going back today I went in the middle of the night. They’re doing an echocardiogram and then they will give her medication. Dogs don’t live long with heart failure or do they?

That's not always true. It depends on how the echo looks. With the right medications, I've had dogs with heart failure live to a normal age.

A low sodium diet will help also.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok thank you. Shes11.5 years old. Thank you Dr.

You're welcome! Please let me know how the echo looks if you have time. It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night! (or day depending on what time zone you are in :)

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hi I’m east coast. I will do the rating and I’ll keep you posted. You knew right away what was wrong. Where are you located. I’m in New Jersey

Oklahoma

Heath Wilkerson
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hi,Dutchess is in heart failure, however the lasics removed the water. She will be on three meds, and i guess the concern now is the kidneys. her hearts enlarged, her murmur is worse, her valves and chambers are weakening , diluting, i can't remember exactly. Going to get her now. Tx so much. Any added advice is welcome!

Hi Vetmedin, Lasix, and Enalapril are the mainstay 3 prescriptions to help with heart failure, so I suspect this is what she is on now. They actually work very well together. Other than that, a heart-healthy diet (low sodium) and getting her regular blood work and echocardiograms every 6-12 months, and I suspect things should go pretty well.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Exactly what she’s on. Tx so much ��
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson