Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She's lethargic, panting and having difficulty

She's lethargic, panting and...

She's lethargic, panting and having difficulty rising/climbing. She's a puppy - 9 mos old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the puppy. What is the dog's name?

Bella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

Fri to Sat she has diahrea. We thought possibly from drinking pool water

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Bella. Has your girl had any vomiting at all? Is she drinking water and keeping it down fine? How long has she been lethargic and panting for?

Kind Regards,

Dr E

No vomiting. She's had a little bit of Gatorade diluted with water. Not much though.

Ok thank you for that - I'm replying now.

She's been lethargic for almost 24 hrs. Panting in last hour.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Bella over the last few days to cause this symptoms, and while this could all potentially be related to ingesting pool water, we also need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. Whatever the case here, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on Bella, and if these symptoms continue, then you will need to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight.

For now, make sure your girl has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or starts vomiting and can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. It sounds like she is taking some of the gatorade which is fine, and hopefully she is having sufficient amounts of that. If she isn't interested in drinking anything, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep an eye on Bella's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is still panting in another half hour then you are safest to get her seen by your local emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Bella and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she is still panting in another half hour, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you Dr! We will check these things and take her in if needed.

No problem at all and all the best with your girl,

Dr E

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc