Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate tylenol arthiris 650 mg, she's about 14 pounds…

My dog ate tylenol...

My dog ate tylenol arthiris 650 mg, she's about 14 pounds actually it's my grandmother's dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your grandmother's dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Daisy they live out in the country, so no vet is around to help them i told her to give Daisy hydrogen perocide to make her puke, but my grandmother is 89 years old and doesn't have a way to get daisy to swallow it are there other ways to make a dog vomit?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your grandmother's dog?

She's an older dog, estimated age around 12, terrier of some sort, about 14 pounds

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry about your grandma. I have a few questions.

1- How long has it been since she took the Tylenol?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
maybe 15-20 minutes

Tell grandma to mix the peroxide with some milk and she may drink it on her own. This is what she can do:

1- Give her 1/2 tablespoon of peroxide mixed with 1/2 tablespoon of milk.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

Another option is squirting the peroxide with a syringe in between the molars and her cheek; she will swallow it.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
My Grandmother found a syringe, she gave hydrogen peroxide
i will tell her about your dosage.
What should she do after Daisy throws up?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
what should she do if Daisy does NOT throw up?

Look at the vomit and see if the finds the Tylenol.

Please let me know if she vomits I will be on stand by for the next 20 minutes.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I told her to do that, but what if she does not see the Tylenol? She is 89, she may not be able to see it. She is too far away for me to go help her. She may not get back to me in time, so I just want to tell her next steps:
1) what to do if she sees tylenol in puke (vet tomorrow?)
2) what to do if she does NOT see tylenol
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Also, will Daisy die tonight, or is there a chance the local vet can save her tomorrow?
Memaw told me she's about 20 pounds, not 14, but the Tylenol is Arthritis Strength, which is 650 mg
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Hello?I think it's been about 40 minutes since Daisy ate the tylenol and i don't think she's thrown it up. What can we expect moving forward?

I am sorry for the delay in response I will answer all your question within 5 minutes.

Friend, Daisy is not going to die tonight and she will be able to see a veterinarian tomorrow. We get concern with Tylenol when the ingested dose is above 100mg/kg; in this case, based on weight Daisy took a dose of 102mg/kg. So, she is right at the start where we begin to get concerned. So, if she does not vomit tonight you can follow with your vet to start her on a supportive care; she may do really well.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
That is great news! My grandmother said she vomited her entire dinner that she'd eaten about an hour before vomiting. However, the timeline is NOT right, my grandmother is now saying she ate the pill about an hour and a half ago. Will that change the answer? Thank you so much, my grandmother is beside herself
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
i see that you already answered that, i'm sorry, just distraught for my grandmother. I appreciate the help. Tomorrow she will take Daisy to the vet.
She does NOT have any activated charcoal, is there anything else she can give Daisy to "mop up" the poison?

If we induce vomiting within 2 hours they are usually okay; so if she vomited within 2 hours of eating the tablet it is very likely that she vomited the pill.

If your grandma had a hard time giving the peroxide there is no way she will be able to give her the activated charcoal at a therapeutic dose.

I would tell grandma to relax, Daisy still has some room as far as toxicosis so very likely she will be okay. But, have her checked by your vet regardless.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you so much, i will tell her that. Hopefully she can rest easy tonight, they are both very stressed. Really appreciate it!

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian