Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just took him out to pee and I notice that there was blood…

Customer Question
Hi, I just took...

Hi, I just took him out to pee and I notice that there was blood in it. The color is really dark.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Monty And about 13 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Monty?

13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Monty?

His breed is 1/3 rot a 1/3 German and a 1/3 arctic wolf

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 30 days ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
ok

I am sorry to hear Monty has this issue tonight. There are a handful of causes of urination that has blood in it:

1.) A urinary tract infection
2.) Bladder stones that traumatize the bladder and cause bleeding
3.) A bladder tumor, most likely in a senior pet
4.) Trauma- hit by car, muscle trauma of some kind

Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup or no salt broth for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with the bleeding.

Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of the blood in the urine.

Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms

Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat the blood in the urine to get your pet comfortable swiftly

Below is more information on this condition in dogs, called hematuria (blood in urine):

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/hematuria-blood-in-urine-in-dogs

If he begins straining to urinate without production this does become an emergency so if you do note this please find a veterinary er open. Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with, I am online another 15 minutes tonight.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you ***** already knew that from reading it on line I was hoping that you could tell me more about then just what was on line..
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Hello

Without evaluating a urine sample I am unable to determine the underlying cause of the blood in the urine, it has to be evaluated under the microscope. I am happy to opt out to allow another to assist you, I was hoping to give you differentials and how to help guide you through the evening until your veterinarian opened and when to seek a veterinary er

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
then he needs to go see a vet is what your saying?
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 29 days ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Dr. Altman opted out and so couldn't respond to your last post. Yes, Monty needs to see his vet. If Monty is intact (not neutered) there should be a

5.) Prostatitis which always involves a bacterial urinary tract infection and is best addressed with not only an antibiotic that penetrates well into the prostate gland but also castration which hastens resolution of the prostatitis.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian