Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had surgery this past fall for a that was infected…

Customer Question
My dog had surgery...

My dog had surgery this past fall for a tit that was infected and spayed at the same time. She was 9 at time. In the last 3 months, she has been rapid breathing, mostly later at night, very red eyes, and I thought she might have had a cold. We do live in Minnesota. She is an 10 yr. old English Springer, just turned, has had no puppies, up to date on all shots. I brought her in, and they tested her eyes, said no cataracts, did a blood test, normal red count. But she has gained over 10 pounds since fall, long winter. So they prescribed her Temeril -P for possibly a cold and eye ointment. The ointment seemed to help for awhile, but her really red eyes came back again. She doesn't have a cold, but still the heavy rapid breathing at night, will stay outside and sit in one position in the snow until I coax her to come in. And now I'm noticing she'll eat snow, instead of drinking her water, and when I take her for a walk, shoves her head in snow back and forth?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Kayah

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kayah?

No, I think I've pretty much explained everything.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
We also had them check for ear infection and she didn't have it.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Her last appointment at the vet for our concern was March 9, 2018.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
She sleeps at times sitting position, head laying against the back of sofa, or her head pushed into the pillows. And sometimes sleeping upright with her head laying low.
3/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 26 days ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?​

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
She is the same all the time.

Can you share a copy of the bloodwork results from her last blood panel?

Do you know if they tested her thyroid?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I do not know if they did, I would have to find out. And I would have to ask my vet about the bloodwork. I'll get back to you when I can.

I'll keep an eye out.

If you wind up with results and would like to share them, there is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian