Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog given sedative at vet but won't wake up. Problem is I…

Dog given sedative at...

Dog given sedative at vet but won't wake up

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Problem is I don't know what sedative 14

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Franklin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Franklin?

Given a sedative for an x ray found an en,argued heart and given a shot of kasix Lasix

3/27/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about Franklin. Do you know what sedative was given at the vet's? When they sent him home, did they seem concerned with how he looked? Was he normal prior to going into the clinic or was he feeling bad?

They didn't tell me the name. Did say it was an anti-cough medicine as well and the bill shows naloxone given as an antidote to wake him up. He was starting to wake up at vet but now can't be woken up

Are they keeping him at the vet's office right now? Naloxone is a reversal agent for an opiod like buprenorphine, fentanyl, butorphanol, morphine - etc.. Was he acting weak and coughing prior to being sedated? What breed is he and how old?

no we are home. Mixed breed 14. He was not weak before but had been coughing sporadically. They gave it to him so they could do an X-ray because he was up super anxious
He was previously diagnosed with collapsed trachea. Well controlled with hycodone but did not take hycodone since the morning

Ok. If he was waking up at the vet's office and now is very sleepy, he may just be still feeling the effects of the sedation. The naloxone is reversing the opiod that was used but it most likely wasn't the only thing used. He may be one that is now in a comfortable, quiet and stress free area and he's going to sleep it off. I wouldn't want to see him breathing with increased rate or effort. If he's breathing pretty normal and just very sleepy, at home all you can do there is to let him rest and hopefully just process the medication out of his body.

Ok thanks so much. They said they gave him something to wake him up but it has now been 3 hours since we left the vet and slightly concerned we can't even get him to hold his head up

I can understand your concern with him not even wanting to hold up his head. If he's breathing with a normal rate and effort, that is a huge plus. Sedation like this can really hit some harder than others depending on what was used and how much.

Ok. I guess if he's still asleep by morning we can call the vet.

I would hope that with that passage of time he's back to how he was looking before being sedated. The fact that they found some heart issues that they started up medication for that, he should be breathing comfortable / not with distress / increased rate. IF his breathing is getting worse, then it would be of concern that his heart is having more of an issue and should be seen sooner. Does this make sense?

it does. His breathing in fact looks much less strained than previously because they gave him lasix to reduce the fluid in his heart/lungs

That is good that the breathing looks less strained! Hopefully him having more rest and pure time is the key here. I would definitely make sure to follow the dosing guidelines and rechecks closely with your vet due to the underlying heart issue they found. I'm hoping for the best for him! I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Super helpful. Unfortunately The vet does not have an after hours line and i don’t want to drag him to the ER when we don’t even know the name or dosage of what they gave him so piece of mind is helpful

One of the things that I tell owners when they come into my ER, request a copy of the paper work / record for that day from your vet so you can have that to take to the ER clinic if questions / issues come up. Typically it takes them a few minutes to quickly complete a record and then an owner can have that to give to any other vet at a later time if needed. At my ER, I've had some owners come in with 3 ring binders of records they've built up over the years.