Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What can I give my dog for pain?

Customer Question
What can I give my...
What can I give my dog for pain ?
Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 29 days ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Can you describe what is wrong with Oakley?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is he on any medications?

4- How much does he weigh?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Around 6:30pm-7pm he jumped up on the couch with me and immediately yelped. He climbed to the top of the couch and was trembling. I can’t find a sore spot on him. I just know something is hurting him. He won’t take a treat or any sort of food. I haven’t seen him drink in a few hours. And I just let him outside to go pee he went out and lay down immediately and wouldn’t move until I went out and carried. I am currently on the couch with him on my lap under a few blankets, which is not normal for him. He tends to like to sleep on the floor.He has crooked front legs. Instead of straight they turn out. They haven’t given him problems before. He is a very active dog.No medication.He is a 20lbs bichon/poodle mix.

1- The deformity in his front legs have always been like that, correct?

2- Is he walking any different?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
always like that and yes he is limping a little
He whines randomly and gets up quick like he’s scared and when someone presses into his arm pit /chestHe did have a long walk today not sure if it’s from that

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, it sounds like your dog may have pulled a muscle or pinched a nerve along the back. Ideally, I would like to see him go on a prescription medication from a veterinarian. You see, of the over the counter pain medication Buffered Aspirin is the only one we can use safely in dogs for a short period and it might not work very well in this case. In addition, if you start him on Buffered Aspirin then your vet may not be able to start him on certain types of prescription medication for 1 week because of the Aspirin; we need to wait for a washout period of Aspirin. So, if you have access to ER vet I would have him checked tonight so that the ER vet can start him on prescription medication. If you do not have access to a veterinarian then you can try Buffered Aspirin 81mg 1 1/4 every 12 hours for 5 days. You can buy Buffered Aspirin over the counter in any pharmacy.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian