Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just got home from work, my 5 year old Pit is drooling &

I just got home...

I just got home from work, my 5 year old Pit Bull is drooling & has blood in her stool, won't eat, will drink, & just ran outside to bark at another dog. She is mildly shaking

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?

Tess & she 5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Tess?

She is 5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tess?

She was up all night with diarriah

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Tess has been drooling and has blood in the stool. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. One of the biggest concerns we have when there is a history of diarrhea is the risk of dehydration. This could constitute the need for treatment, so I am going to recommend a few ways to measure the hydration status. There are two methods. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. This test only works if she is not panting. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. Let me know what you find.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Her gums are wet & slippery. Her skin snaps back in 2 seconds if not less
But I just paid you $28.00 to speak with him
Please, I need to speak to him
Never mind...I want my $28. back, I am taking her to the vet now. This is horrible service
Phone call session started