Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog’s skin feels hot to the touch and the heat seems to…

My dog’s skin feels...

My dog’s skin feels hot to the touch and the heat seems to move around to different areas rather quickly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

Just told you that her skin is hot yo the touch in areas and it seems to move around her body,

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

It doesn’t seem to cause her pain but she seems to itch with it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is your dog's name and age?

Sophie and she is just over 8.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophie?

She’s not an active dog, more of a cuddler. She is mixed breed — Half Cavalier King Charles and half Japanese Chin.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question bout Sophie. Do you feel that she's eating and drinking normally? Is she chewing at her feet more than normal or any other area? Is she losing any fur anywhere or it getting thinner?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No, she has not been eating well for the past few days and has been shivering. The heat problem has been with her for a long time but my vet didn’t have an answer.

Has your vet ever had a rectal temperature that was elevated during one of these "heat" problems. The skin itself is a pretty hard area to judge the overall body temperature as it can be off for many reasons. What I'd suggest is using a thermometer to take a rectal temperature as this is the best way to judge what the overall body temperature is. A normal rectal temperature is 100 - 102.5 degrees. If she's not eating well and is shivering, then the first thing that I'd recommend is getting her seen again by your vet and having blood work ran to see if that gives anything to key in on. The next step after that may be a urinalysis and / or x-rays. This is a situation where her clinical signs are very vague at this time and they can be tied to numerous things.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Since the heat isn’t constant, it’s difficult to predict whether it will be in evidence when I see the vet. They did do a rectal temperature last time but she was asymptomatic at the time and her temperature was normal at that time. The shivering and skipping meals is fairly recent, within the last week.

I would then see what a rectal temperature is at home when she "seems" hot to the touch. It may be something where her overall body temperature during those times is normal. That is something you could try to check at home on your own.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
She does chew on her feet sometimes and she rolls around on the carpet. She is a shedder do hard yo tell about that. For a while she was chewing st herself and pulling out her hair but not lately.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I’ll pick up a thermometer and if her appetite doesn’t get back to normal in a day or two, I’ll take her to the vet again.

I would get that thermometer and see what her temperatures are at home. The chewing on the feet, that could be related to allergies which can be due to environmental issues or food allergies. Typically though with allergies, they don't have their appetites affected. Allergies are more dermatologic issues. Is she spayed?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
she has some allergies but those are being treated with changes made in her food. She’s also allergic to fleas so I’m careful to keep that under control, as well. She is wearing one of the 8 month Seresta collars as the liquid drops quit working for her.

That is good that she's spayed and that she's having her allergies addressed with the food changes. If things are improving, then it seems like you're on the right track. Sometimes further changes in the diet need to be made if it doesn't resolve. Is the Seresta collar something new that was put on when this all started? Could she be having a reaction to it? They are good collars, but that doesn't rule out that a random dog wearing one may have a reaction to it.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No, it’s not new, this is her third one. I tried pills, but no matter how I tried, or what I disguised them in, I couldn’t get her to take them.

With this being the third Seresto collar, it would seem very unlikely that it is a part of the issue. I would try again to get the temperatures by a rectal thermometer when she's seeming more warm to see if it is real. If it is (or if she's not improving), then getting some blood work on her is the next thing that needs to be done.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you. I guess there isn’t something that just jumps out at you. I especially worry about the hot patches because it seems very hot and when it’s on her head or chest, I worry about the effect on her brain or her organs.

It takes a pretty darn high body core temperature to get to a level that can cause adverse effects on the brain / internal organs. At my ER, the typical reason for these high temps is due to heat stroke / seizures / or breathing issues where they can't breath well like laryngeal paralysis situations. The skin feeling warm could be due to the fur being thinner in certain areas and I wouldn't be overly alarmed if she's still eating and drinking while this is going on.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Okay. I’ll pick up a thermometer and go from there. At least maybe I won’t worry so much. Thank you.

I'm hoping for the best for Sophie! Give her a little ear scratching for me since I can't. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian