Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7 lb Chihuahua just ate my Kelpie's 50mg tramadol. Dante…

My 7 lb Chihuahua...

My 7 lb Chihuahua just ate my Kelpie's 50mg tramadol

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Dante -- he's an 8 year old 7lb dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Dante?

8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dante?

No -- he's healthy

3/27/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since he ate Tramadol?

2- It was only 50mg, correct?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

He ate it about 10 minutes ago. Yes only 50 mg. and no I do not have any peroxide

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

I did find some peroxide!!!

Friend, the dose that your dog took is significant for a 7 lbs dog; I don't believe it will be fatal, but, it can cause symptoms like profound lethargy or restlessness, difficulty walking, vomiting, drooling, etc. This is what you can do to make him vomit with peroxide:

1- Give him 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit and you have access to ER veterinarian I would have him checked within the hour and they can try to make him vomit with a medication called apomorphine. Or, you can observe him at home and if the above symptoms develop you then take him to ER veterinarian for supportive care.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Ok -- thank you I just gave him first dose..thanks!!!! Hopefully I don't have to take him to er!!!! :(

You're welcome. :)