Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Bilateral otitis external left more clinical than right. Vet…

Customer Question
Bilateral otitis external left...

Bilateral otitis external left more clinical than right. Vet wants to remove the ear canal. I am looking for alternatives

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Ear infections did you see my earlier text?

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Emma. Pug. 8yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Emma?

Still there?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Emma?

She was a rescue in bad shape. Had 2 tumors removed on stage 2 mass cell.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Emma and the ear ablation surgical procedure. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in ,what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• How long have you had her?
  • How long have you been treating her ear infections?
  • What types of treatments have you tried?
  • Is your current vet a specialist in either dermatology or surgery?

I'm asking these questions because - while ear ablation surgery is sometimes necessary in order to give a dog relief and comfort - it is ALWAYS a last resort.

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

While I await your reply, I want to send you this link:

https://www.willows.uk.net/specialist-services/pet-health-information/soft-tissue/teca

This article does a good job explaining the procedure, and describes when it's used. Again, I'll emphasize that this is something we recommend only when all other forms of treatment have failed.

I need to run into the clinic see an emergency, so will be offline for a bit. I'll look for an answer for you when I return.

Thank you.

Just checking in to see if you have additional questions after looking through the information I've provided. To summarize, a surgery like this is only appropriate once there are no alternatives, when all other forms of treatment have worked.
In other words, I wouldn't recommend proceeding unless you're satisfied that you've tried several different topical ear treatments and medications (usually over the course of a couple of years) and haven't had any success. If you haven't reached the end of your rope with trying medical options, I'd advise taking Emma to a board-certified veterinary dermatologist to see if there's any other type of medical therapy you can try first.

Here's a list of the things it's appropriate to try first:

• Topical ear medications like Otomax, etc., every day for at least 2 months
  • Oral medications like antibiotics and antifungals, sometimes also for at least 2 months
  • Allergy medications like Cytopoint
  • Deep ear flushing under sedation

I do hope this information is helpful, especially since you're in such a frustrating situation. Please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 23 days ago

How is Emma doing now? Is there anything else I can help you with?

Thank you,

Dr. Jo

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 20 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian