Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

14 years old dirrera drinking lots of water but no food for…

Customer Question
14 years old dirrera...

14 years old dirrera drinking lots of water but no food for a few days

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Mix collie husky

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the collie's name and age?

14 years old ella

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 25 days ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is she urinating more as well? Any other history of health issues in the past?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
no, about three years ago they told us she have a liver problem and only had days to live she was a bit jaundice we took her to VCA took exrays of the liver but they could not find anything gave us nausea medicine a few days went by and she was fine, we think she ate something that upset her stomach. Because of her age every once in a while she gets upset stomach but she is very thin and not eating getting weak due to lack of food.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
is there anything i can give her in case she is nausea's again. I have tried rice, chicken , tuna hand feeding her only eats a few bits and walks away.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Is she having any vomiting? With her symptoms of drinking a lot of water and losing weight a couple of issues I would be worried about. One would be possible kidney disease which can cause excessive drinking and sometimes diarrhea as well. Also many older dogs can have an issue with diabetes as well which if prolonged can lead to loss of appetite as well. Bloodwork would be needed to determine if that is the case. As far as what to give her for nausea. You can try plain pepcid to see if it helps but it would be best to determine what is causing the nausea first and why she is not eating.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
if either is the case due to her age what would be the treatment I would hate to put her through the stress if nothing can be done.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
are you able to prescribe medication? I know in the past with my older dogs they have given them prednisone it gives them strength and makes them hungry

If it is diabetes it can be treated with insulin twice daily and most dogs can respond well with it as long as it is not advanced when it is diagnosed. But kidney disease would be more difficult to treat especially if it is advanced. It often requires hospitalization if they are at the point of not wanting to eat and losing weight. Usually if an older dog has kidney disease it has a poorer prognosis then if diagnosed at a younger age. Unfortunately I am unable to prescribe medication because it is against the law for any veterinarian to prescribe medication without seeing an animal in person. But I would not recommend prednisone without a diagnosis first because depending on what is causing the illness it can make things worse with their illnes.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 22 days ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Alleyne
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
She passed away yesterday.
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 21 days ago

Sorry to hear about her passing. My condolences

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian