Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

It actually a dog in my care. He has a skin irritation,

Customer Question
It actually a foster...

It actually a foster dog in my care. He has a skin irritation, which I’m fairly sure is primarily allergy based (I cut out chicken & it is improving), but his skin has a strong smell as well. He had it when he arrived just over a week ago. I washed him in Malaseb & conditioned in Epi-Soothe which helped, but two days later the smell on his skin is coming back & Im thinking it is perhaps a different health issue. He is old. Milky eye in one eye & possibly partially deaf.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

He isn’t bleeding much, although a few of the older sores which are in areas he can scratch are still weeping. Despite the recent diet change (which will take a while to really work through anyway) I think because he can reach them and therefore scratch & keep irritating them, they will take longer to heal. But the smell is throughout his fur from his skin... It reminds me oddly enough of some kind of chemical spray like a garden pesticide

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Cookie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cookie?

His urine seems quite dark, despite him drinking a lot of water.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

His condition is relatively stable. Essentially I was wanting to check whether the unusual smell might be a possible indicator of something else, and if it warranted being checked by a local vet.
I am quite disappointed that the site said quite clearly that the question would be referred to a vet & instead it is being dealt with by a vet nurse.
I mean no offense to you personally, or your expertise, but it was clearly stated that a vet (complete with photo & the vets name) would be answering my query.
Even now, although you have honestly introduced yourself as an experienced vet nurse, the website describes you as a vetinarian, which is misleading at best.

Will you please attach pictures of what you’re seeing with the skin? There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

Forget it.
I’ve already been charged for something I have not received & every message asks me to fork out more money, (eg I can speak to someone direct but at an extra charge, or if I send photos it will help but there would be an extra charge).
This site appears to be a thinly veiled scam in my opinion.
I have received nothing & am being constantly asked for more money while still given no answers...
It would be cheaper to just see the vet.
I only gave this site a go as it appeared at the time to offer a possible quick starting point as to whether I should take him to the vet or not, and then it turned out it couldn’t even provide that!