Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 8 year old lab mix developed a papilloma virus wart on…

My 8 year old...

My 8 year old lab mix developed a papilloma virus wart on her lip just over a week ago. She was seen by her vet, who recommended I just let her own immune system tackle it. He gave me the option of purchasing some L-lysine powder from any pet store and sprinkling it on her food to help boost the immune system. Trouble is, I am finding nothing in the pet store for dogs. All the lysine meds/chews in the store seem to be for cats. And online, there are a variety of formats (chews, powder, drops) for dogs in a variety of dosages. Getting a little confused here. Any suggestions? She's about 68 lbs. Thanks!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Maggie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?

No - other than the wart being unsightly, she seems unbothered by it.

3/26/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I wouldn't bother to search out lysine as there are no scholarly studies showing it to be of value when addressing the oral papilloma virus. Lysine has been recommended when addressing the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) but its value should be circumspect in that regard as well. Two studies in FHV-1 + shelter cats revealed that lysine increased morbidity (severity of signs) when compared to those cats receiving placebo. Because most papillomavirus infections regress spontaneously after development of host cell-mediated immune response, Maggie's vet was correct to recommend monitoring only. These papillomas may persist for up to 4-6 months in the mouth and 6-12 months on the skin before regressing. Surgery, cryotherapy, laser ablation, the antibiotic azithromycin, interferon, and imiquimod cream are all alternative therapies you might discuss with Maggie's vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok - thank you for that advice. Two vets saying to leave it alone is reassuring, even though my instinct is to do something for her. There ought to be a canine version of Abreva :-)
So, just to confirm also, topical ointments like neosporin, human Abreva, or applying hydrogen peroxide to the area wouldn't do any good? I'm pretty sure I know what your answer will be, but I just want to make sure.
Thanks.

I don't have any information on docosanol (Abreva) but I don't see the harm in seeing how it affects Maggie. It's another drug used for herpes and so I don't know if it will be of value for papillomavirus. Neosporin, hydrogen peroxide, and other OTC products won't do the trick. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian