Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has black, crusty scabs that developed in the past…

Hi! My dog...

Hi! My dog has black, crusty scabs that developed in the past week on the tips of both of his ears. I tried to rinse them with an antifungal/antibacterial wash he was prescribed before for an ear infection but he yelped in pain when I tried to massage it onto the ear. Do you know what this could be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is your dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he's about 1.5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gus?

He just recently had bad ear infections in both ears that he was treated for, and he also had a red sore inside his ear for several weeks that finally healed. I adopted him about 3 months ago and the tips of his ears had some hair loss, but after applying Mometamax for about 1-2 weeks the hair seemed to grow back until this issue arose

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Also - Gus is a mix. He is part chihuahua, terrier, dachshund, and more - he has very large, erect ears.
3/26/2018
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Thompson. I’ve been a small animal veterinarian since 2000. Thanks for your question. I understand your dog Gus has painful ears with scabs on the tips of the ear flaps. Is that correct?

When you look down into the opening of the ear, is there any discharge or excessive redness or smell?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
That’s right. His ears just seem to be painful on the tips. The rest of his ears including the opening seem fine right now

Crusted ear tips make me think of a couple possibilities:

1. Allergies that happen to be affecting the ear tips instead of the ear canal

2. Ear tip vasculitis/necrosis- an uncommon condition where inflamed blood vessels decrease the blood flow the the ear tips specifically and can cause the tissue to become inflamed and sometimes the tissue can even die. Dachshunds are one breed that seem prone to this problem... It can be caused by other diseases, but at least 50% of the time no one ever figures out why it's happening.

One other thing to consider, depending on your environment, fly bites can affect the ear tips in a similar way. Dogs who spend a lot of time outdoors are more prone to fly bites.

I hope I’ve answered your question to your satisfaction. Don’t hesitate to ask follow-up questions if you have any. If finished, the best incentive you can give me to continue helping here on JustAnswer is a 5-star rating. Just click on the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Thanks for sending the photos. I do wonder about ear tip vasculitis. The only way to get a real diagnosis on that is to do a biopsy.

Mites are certainly possible, but those usually cause lesions in more places than just the ear tips.

I found an article that explains pretty well about ear tip necrosis: http://www.dog-health-guide.org/black-crust-on-outer-dog-ears.html

Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian