Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate about 40 potty mouth pills. hes around 30 pounds…

Customer Question
My dog ate about...

My dog ate about 40 potty mouth pills. hes around 30 pounds what should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Spud and he is 6 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Spud?

He eats everything even his toys and swallows it, so we have to watch him with everything because he swallows it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

So I did some research on the Potty Mouth products and do have some concerns about the vitamins and the iron in the product. Too much of it can cause problems with the organs...specifically the kidneys and/or liver.

You can see the ingredients here: http://www.petco.com/product/105487/Four-Paws-Potty-Mouth-Tablets.aspx

Because of the bothersome ingredients, I think the best thing to do is to induce vomiting to try to help get the pills out of his system.

If your dog ingested this within the last few hours then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (ie 1 tbsp & 1 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

Once you've induced vomiting, you'll need to monitor your pup for signs of trouble: Fast heart rate, vomiting, nausea (your dog will most likely lick lips a lot and look like she wants to vomit), increased panting and increased thirst are all signs that your dog needs to be seen by the nearest emergency clinic.

If you've gotten the pills out before they've dissolved too much, you can most likely just monitor your dog for tonight, but I would absolutely call your regular vet in the morning and see if they think he needs to be seen.

I hope this helps

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

I just go home from work and I don't know how long ago he ate them? but my husband said it had to have been at least 4 hours ago.

OK well at this point we can monitor for any of the concerning symptoms I listed for tonight and if seen please find a veterinary er available in your area. Hopefully there will be no ill effects but best to know what to monitor for and when to have him seen at a veterinary er

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on Spud to see how he is doing after his ingestion a few days ago? Were there any issues with the pills? I would love an update when you are able

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman