Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My chihuahua, poodle, Boston terrier mix is 10 months old.

Customer Question
My chihuahua, poodle, Boston...

My chihuahua, poodle, Boston terrier mix is 10 months old. She hurt her leg about a week ago (five or take a few days) and she's been limping. I originally thought it was her thigh muscle but now have discovered since the swelling went down that it could be her knee. Sometimes she walks just fine on it. After she's been laying down for a while she'll use all four legs equally. But if she slides at all, another dog pushes her or anything she'll start picking up her leg and walking or running on three. I have a toy poodle who was diagnosed with luxating patella as a puppy but seems to have grown out of it. Last week I was giving her meloxicam for pain but I'm not sure what else to do. This week I am Trying joint supplements.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Boston. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Boston?

It's not lethargy

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 25 days ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has your companion had an examination yet? Any diagnostics such as x-rays?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No she hasn't.

Keep in mind that joint supplements may take as many as 12+ weeks before they offer the most benefit for a pet. While I doubt that it will hurt anything, I am concerned that it will take too long to offer any real benefit to her. A physical examination and x-rays are indicated since she's still having issues coming up upon a week. I am very concerned with the mention of swelling that this may indicate either a fracture or partial ligament tear. Your vet may wish to give her a light sedative to be able to appropriately check her knee for ligament laxity. If you must address this from home, she truly needs to be on kennel rest and to be leash walked when outside. Dogs are prone, especially when on NSAID medication like meloxicam, of causing more damage to their body when their pain is effectively addressed. It's important to ensure that kennel rest take place, for this reason, to prevent further injury. You can also be using cold and heat packs on her knee to help with discomfort.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse