Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 6month old boston terrier was stuck with my chaboston she…

Customer Question
My 6month old...

My 6month old boston terrier was stuck with my chaboston she is smaller than rowdy do you think she became pregnant?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Snooki is about 5 or 6yrs old

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 27 days ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
do you think she got pregnant?

Your Boston had to be in estrus (heat) to have stood for Snooki and so being "stuck" the one time gives an approximate chance of greater than 60% of becoming pregnant. Your vet can perform a blood test 22-27 days from now which can detect pregnancy. It detects the hormone relaxin. False negative results can occur. The gold standard for detecting pregnancy is with abdominal ultrasound. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Since Snooki is a lot smaller than Rowdy do you think she’s going to have to have a cercearin. If she got Bread today when do you think he would have her puppies
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
What are some signs I should look for if she is pregnant

The female is the primary determiner of the size of the feti. The gestation length is 62-64 days from ovulation. Due to variability in the time of ovulation compared to the time of standing behavior in the bitch and the long time sperm are viable in the femnale reproductive tract, gestation length from a single breeding can range from 58 (bred late) to 71 days (bred early). If impregnated you would see weight gain, and in the third trimester, mammary gland enlargement and lactation. This can be misleading, however, as all unbred dogs become pseudopregnant (false pregnancy, pseudocyesis) to some extent. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I have another female spaded bull Boston terrier would that be a problem with Snooki being pregnant or when she has her puppies. Also how many puppies should I except

Whether or not your other Boston would pose a problem would be predicated upon her demeanor and personality. It's difficult to predict how any one dog in the household would react to Snooki or her pups and so you would carefully monitor your other Boston and either allow her to commingle or, instead, separate her from Snooki. In one study, the average Boston litter size was 4 with a range of 1-8.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 25 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian