Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Question to last weeks question. Our poodle mix was having…

A follow up question to...
A follow up question to last weeks question. Our poodle mix was having diarrhea problems and you suggested the Hills Prescription dog food to see if it helps . It has worked better than I could have thought. She has become regulated, doesn't ask to go out late at night. Stools have become firm. All is good, thank you for the recommendation. Now my question is what is the best way to transfer her back to dry food (versus canned)? Mix the two and gradually go 100% dry? I prefer she goes on dry food for healthier teeth. But she really does like the Prescription diet soft food. Your thoughts?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Good stuff!!

I would do this:

Days one and two 75% wet and 25% dry

Days three and four 50/50

Days five and six 75% dry and 25% wet

Day seven all dry food

I hope that helps and I am so happy Jaxie is doing so well!

Paul

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I will be checking her stools carefully. If she starts trending toward diareahha I will switch her back.

Good plan

Please keep me posted

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Will be watching stools, if they start to become loose, I'll switch her back to Prescription food
Again, thank you

Very welcome!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jaxie. How is everything going?
DocPaul
Customer reply replied 8 days ago
Doc Paul,
A follow up.. I tried the adding a little dry food to the mix , and the next day a bit more. . She reverted to the mostly loose BM.
I went back to the Prescription canned food. She is doing well.and appears to be 100% back to normal. Do I bother to try and convert back?
No hurry on your answer, I know it is Sunday and a rainy day here in Sunshinny Florida.
Tom

Ha ha ha ha ha

I am looking at five yes five foot snow drifts!! I live in Minnesota LOL

No lets keep her on the special diet for good

Paul

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
Thanks and good luck with your weather. With the rain it’s 73 outside.

Thanks!

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian