Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Clear fluid leaking from one ear. No smell. Has had

Clear fluid leaking from...

Clear fluid leaking from one ear. No smell. Has had infections before but they always look very different(Brown not clear).

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Max. 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?

He is healthy overall. Just getting slower with age. This clear fluid is different than anything he has had before. I thought at first it may have been trapped water from a bath a few days ago but it continued to come out of his ear. It has no smell at all.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/26/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Your presumption about water from the bath is still valid

But we also have to consider a damage ear drum and fluid emanating from the middle ear canal

The big question here is-> How does he feel? Otherwise normal?

Paul

He does seem very normal. As of yet, no signs of not feeling well. It’s only been about 20 hours or so since we first saw the fluid. It doesn’t seem sticky. At least not obviously sticky to me.

That is good news

I would just sit tight for now

Update me later tonight and we can revise things based on whether the fluid resolves on its own

But I am not worried

Okay?

Paul

Thanks you very much. I was going to go ahead and flush with ear wash and use antibiotic ointment as if it were an ear infection just in case. I already have those items on hand since my Golden Retrievers have recurring ear infections. Does that sound like a good idea?

I would not put anything into the ear canals

The epithelium that lines them is VERY sensitive and we risk doing more harm than good

Paul

Ok.

Great

Please update me tomorrow AM

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you :)

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DocPaul
Thanks for checking back. That was very kind of you. I have been out of town several days for Easter. Because I was leaving the dogs with a sitter and I didn’t want to be away from them not knowing what was wrong, I went ahead and visited my vet before leaving. My dog was diagnosed with both yeast and bacterial (rod?) infections. After a week on an oral antibiotic, his ear is finally dry again.
Thanks for checking back. It is very refreshing that you would be conscientious and caring enough to do that.

Very welcome!

Glad all is well

Paul