Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My rescue dog wants to eat other dog poop cat poop or

My rescue dog wants...

My rescue dog wants to eat other dog poop cat poop or anything she can nab on a walk or is dropped. We recently had a flea infestation but is now gone dog is on monthly flea preventive. Could he have worms from fleas and can I treat him with a dewormer.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Zippy and is around 10

3/26/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Small, grains of rice type worms are tapeworms. These are picked up by eating an infected flea. The good news is that the egg packets he is passing are not directly infectious to him or other dogs, they must be eaten by an intermediate host (flea) and then they finish developing and that flea would have to be eaten by your dog. The egg packets can be passed with stool or on their own. Sometimes we see them stuck on the hair coat around the anus.

If you don't get rid of all the fleas they will continue to be a problem as he will continue to reinfest himself. They are easily treated with a medication called Praziquantel. See this link for an example of a wormer with Praziquantel.

https://www.chewy.com/bayer-tapeworm-dog-de-wormer-5-count/dp/139679?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Bayer&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzN6FwLyK2gIVRrXACh2N0QDEEAQYASABEgJ3YPD_BwE

Praziquantel only treats tapeworms. Other common worms are easily treated with a different medication called pyrantel, which is available in many pet stores or from your veterinarian. You may want to periodically worm him given his propensity to eat stool outside.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I do not see any rice type grain or anything out of the ordinary. I know this because I have been looking at his poop /waiting for something he ate to come out.

Then he may or may not have tapeworms.

It can take 3 weeks or more for the worms to mature and produce egg packets.

While it probably wouldn't hurt to worm him, he may not need it.

What explains the eating of everything? I do feed Natures Instinct which is not grocery store food
Are you able to answer why he eats anything / everything?

Many dogs are extremely food driven, especially rescue dogs. They are not necessarily truly needing calories or hungry, the constant need to search for food is probably more behavioral.

Some breeds (Beagles & Labs are two of them) seem to have many more individuals that don't have properly functioning satiety centers. These dogs given a chance would literally eat themselves to death.

In some dogs this is a sign of illness. Eating nonfood items is called pica.

Ideally he would see his veterinarian for an examination and some blood tests including a complete blood count, biochemistry profile and thyroid profile. Some dogs exhibit pica (eating or licking/biting non-food items) when they are anemic or sick and we do want to make sure that he is healthy and there is not a physical reason for his behavior. This can also be a sign of nausea.

But in most cases the dog is healthy, just extremely food driven.

Thank you

You are very welcome, glad to help.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara