Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our bichon has become anti social of late ... no longer

Our bichon has become...

Our bichon has become anti social of late ... no longer wants to sleep on bed which he has always done ... no longer seems to crave affection which he always did .. eats and drinks fine ... will constantly want to go outside .. stands and stares at us from across the room with his tail most of the time ... he is giving us anxiety ... any thoughts?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 9 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Chipps?

9 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chipps?

He is of a petite nature for a bichon ... weighing around 8 pounds ... always healthy ... though he does get bouts of constipation from time to time ...

3/26/2018
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Thompson, a small animal veterinarian since 2000. Thanks for your question. I understand your dog Chipps has had a behavior change you're concerned about. Is that correct?

I can understand your concern, it does seem odd that Chipps just doesn't want to be as social as he used to. You say he's eating and drinking OK. How is his general activity level?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Should we take him to our local vet where he goes routinely ...
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
He is lethargic and distant ... just paces or stands and stares at us from across the room

It's never a bad idea to get a local vet to check out a pet with a behavior change. A few things they will want to check for:

1. Dental health- dental disease can cause a dog to feel kind of off in a non-specific way.

2. Pain in the neck, back or limbs.

3. Blood and urine tests- he may have something going on with organs like liver, kidney or bladder that would make him feel poorly.

It can be tough to know what's going on with a dog since they can't speak...

I hope I’ve answered your question to your satisfaction. Don’t hesitate to ask follow-up questions if you have any. If finished, the best incentive you can give me to continue helping here on JustAnswer is a 5-star rating. Just click on the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thanks!

Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian