Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

11 monthly old dog jumped off of a bed and has been holding…

Customer Question
11 monthly old dog...

11 monthly old dog jumped off of a bed and has been holding back right leg up and hasnt put weight on it. He still is very active and eating. He has been seen by a vet and xrays taken and no sign of a problem. Dog was given 7 days of a apin reliver/anti inflammatory. Medicine finished and leg no better. This dog has been crated and only let out to go to the bathroom. Incident occurred three weeks ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Hello

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

I sent a message above about dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He doesnt act like he hurts at all. He just holds back right foot up off ground and puts no weight on it.,

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

No obvious pain. Dog name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kobe?

No he is a very typical 11 month old. How does this service work.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian I just came online and saw that you have been waiting for bit and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand how frustrating it is to have normal radiographs, follow directions for rest and give the prescribed anti-inflammatory drug, only to have your pup still be lame 3 weeks later.

Radiographs are great for seeing fractures. They are less helpful for ligament and tendon injuries or any sort of soft tissue problem as those changes/injuries often don't show up on radiographs. With puppies we also need to evaluate growth plates for any signs of injury, and those can sometimes be very subtle.

Because your pup's lameness has persisted I recommend repeating radiographs to make sure that a subtle growth plate injury wasn't missed, and submit both the new and original radiographs to a board certified radiologist to read.

If that isn't diagnostic then the next step would be a referral to an orthopedic specialist. They have much more experience with unusual causes of lameness. Kobe may need an MRI to diagnosis his primary problem.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The current vet suggested putting kobe asleep and taking a few more images in positions he will not sit through. Do you agree?

Yes, I think that sedation is a great idea. Some positions we need to put them in are both uncomfortable and require relaxation that we cannot achieve in a conscious patient. Then I would send both sets of radiographs off to a radiologist for close analysis.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 29 days ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 27 days ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian