Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Teddy my mine Shnauser is hyperventilating, and acting crazy…

Teddy my mine Shnauser...

Teddy my mine Shnauser is hyperventilating, and acting crazy ....licking her legs and cant settle, restless and spastic movements.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Miniture shnauser male . 2 years old. Has had all his vacinations and has monthly flee and worm medication. He is eating well and drinking water but acting strange.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes .. a small dog ??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Teddy . # years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Teddy?

2 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Teddy?

Just that he is acting in a strange manner. Hyperventilating and restless. Running around and licking his paws and limbs.

how long does the reply take ??
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/26/2018
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back with a reply.

I'm sorry Teddy is having issues! It sounds like he may be having an allergic reaction of some sort if he's licking his legs and paws. Has he ever had a problem like that before? Any rash or skin redness? I'd consider giving him some benadryl at 1mg per pound body weight 3 times a day. That will help calm him down and also help with allergic reaction with mild to moderate itch.

Let me know how he's doing and if I can help in any other way! Kindly consider rating my answer; I am not compensated otherwise. You can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

Its early morning here + I am going to work in an hr. Teddy seems better this am but was extremely distressed last night. Yes I think it must have been a reaction to a plant or maybe an insect as we had just returned from a walk. no rash or bite to be seen . Im in Australia. Where can i get Benadryl ? Should i see my vet ? Thanks for advice. Pat
You’re welcome! Glad to hear he’s doing ok. Benadryl (generic is diphenhydramine) should be available at any store that has a pharmacy/drug section. If he’s otherwise acting ok you can give it 3 times a day and see if it improves over the next day or so. If it’s not helping or it’s worsening then by all means see your vet.
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian