Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 8 year old Boston Terrier was diagnosed with a narrowing…

Customer Question
My 8 year old...

My 8 year old Boston Terrier was diagnosed with a narrowing of the C4/C5 on March 4th. He was put on Gabapentin, Methocarbmol and deramaxx. After being on those 3 medications for 2 weeks he went back for his check up and was doing better so was told to start weening him off the medications. So we stopped with the gabapentin and instead of 3 times a day with methocarbmol we went to every -2 hours and still dermaxx once a day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

On Friday night it seemed he hurt himself again and I started the methocarbmol again for every 8 hours. He seemed to be fine until Sunday morning when he was showing signs of pain again. I called vet Sunday morning to see if we can get him back on gabapentin but my dr is out till Tuesday. As of right now for the last 4 hours he has been pacing and very uncomfortable. I gave him half of a 25mg tablet at 1250am and he had a methocarbomal (half tablet) 100mg at 10pm Sunday night. Is there anything I can do right now to make him comfortable or sedated him. Maybe a Benadryl?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Dodger

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Do you have additional gabapentin (or other medication for pain, such as tramadol) available or has this been used up entirely?