Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs ate chocolate about two hours ago. Symptoms are

My dogs ate chocolate...

My dogs ate chocolate about two hours ago. Symptoms are thirst. Need guidance please.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Mac is six years old and weighs about 25 lbs. He ate about 2 oz.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Mac?

Six

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mac?

Has wheat allergies

3/26/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation. What type of chocolate did he eat? Milk? Dark? Are you sure the max is 2 oz?

Mac ate 2oz. Both dark and light chocolate.
Mac is 6 yo.
Ok
Can we talk

Were these pure milk and dark chocolate candies? Were they nougette or cream filled? 2 oz of all dark chocolate falls in the range of vomiting and diarrhea. 2 oz of milk chocolate doesn't fall into that category. The more milk chocolate the 2 oz had, the less chance of causing the vomiting and diarrhea. Chocolate causes an increase in thirst

Is Vet on line?

I'm not set up for a phone call. If you want, I can opt out to see if another can assist there.

Where did he respond? We requested and paid for telecom?

I'm not able to do a phone conversation per my state board requirements. Were these pure milk and dark chocolate candies? Were they nougette or cream filled? 2 oz of all dark chocolate falls in the range of vomiting and diarrhea. 2 oz of milk chocolate doesn't fall into that category. The more milk chocolate the 2 oz had, the less chance of causing the vomiting and diarrhea. Chocolate causes an increase in thirst.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
How?
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

How? Can you further elaborate on this?