Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has been fine and eating well. Today she had a day in…

She has been fine...

She has been fine and eating well. Today she had a long day in her kennel as I had to work all day. When I came home she went out and went to the bathroom and then the next time she went out she was eating grass. She has not eaten her food or taken any water since I came back home. She is on her bed and seems at ease. I am not sure whether she is not feeling well. She has a good appetite normally.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Roxy--boxer aGE 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?

She is in good health, has had all her shots and is on heartworm preventative.

3/26/2018
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Boxer girl Roxy who has been out of sorts tonight. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Roxy this evening to cause this vague symptoms and we need to consider anything from an early gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. Whatever the case here with Roxy, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl, and if her symptoms continue, then you will need to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight.

For now, make sure Roxy has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or starts vomiting and can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. In case this is gastrointestinal in nature, you can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep an eye on Roxy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

The grass eating is likely a sign of nausea and as such, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with Roxy and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she starts vomiting and can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Thank you! I will watch her. She doesn't seem to be in any distress but I will try and get her to drink. She has not been drinking since I got home.

No problem and all the best with your girl. Hopefully her symptoms just start improving in the next hour or so.

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc