Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 40lb standard schnauzer May have ingested a 50 mg tablet…

Customer Question
My 40lb standard schnauzer...

My 40lb standard schnauzer May have ingested a 50 mg tablet of flecainide

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Standard Schnauzer will be able to digest that. What is the Standard Schnauzer's name and age?

Red and he’s 8 months old

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
How long ago might this have happened, how many minutes or hours ago?
30 minutes ago

Thanks for that, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you with an answer.

Ok

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. This drug is not normally used in the dog and there is not much in the literature concerning possible side effects in the dog, for this reason, it is hard to predict just how serious this situation is. However where a dog swallows any sort of drug not intended for it then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make Red sick immediately and try to recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed, I will give you a link on how to do this best: LINK

2. Given the above, if you fail to quickly induce vomiting then you should take your dog to an ER vet as soon as you can. However, I can tell you that flecainide is similar to other medications that are used in veterinary medicine and toxicity of those types can cause low blood pressure and heart arrhythmias. But the amount of medication that he swallowed would not likely cause a toxic effects if it was one of these similar drugs.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Red's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Red is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the flecainide issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?