Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's licking obsessively the bed shit, he was biting at it…

Customer Question
He's licking obsessively the...

He's licking obsessively the bed shit, he was biting at it and was coughing and gagging. He just threw up a bunch and hasn't stopped licking since. he's also refusing water

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

It looked like he might have eaten something outside when we took him out a little while ago. he was fine before then. maybe something is lodged in his throat? he won't let me look though. right now we're trying to hold him and calm him but he won't stop trying to lick

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Moe, 12 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Moe?

12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Moe?

He has a lot of skin problems? he's prone to rashes and skin irritations. I don't know if that's relevant though now he's shaking a little and crying

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
he's not crying anymore and he's not coughing. He laid down for a bit but was still licking, now he's moving around and licking obsessively
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
the bed sheet
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 26 days ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Sorry, but it took a while to get a response so we gave him peptic acid and after a while he calmed down and slept through the night. We’ll be taking him to our vet later today.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian