Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She’s had diarrhea for a week - I’ve been trying to Just…

Hi - she’s had...

Hi - she’s had diarrhea for a week - I’ve been trying to Just feed her once today chicken and rice which I heard was good. It’s not working she seems to be healthy otherwise

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

My dog has had diarrhea all week - I’ve tried just feeding her rice and chicken -not working- she seems healthy otherwise

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Mimi - about 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mimi?

When it started she was sick all night - It seems OK since then – I thought it was clearing up at again tonight she just has liquid diarrhea and has gone in the house which is not like her

3/26/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear this :(

Since the diarrhea isn't responding to your treament at home, it would be best to call your vet in the morning to get some medication to stop the diarrhea. In the mean time you can continue to help by offering Pedialyte for hydration and electrolyte balance and some canned pumpkin to help settle the intestines and firm up the stool. You can also give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach. Tomorrow you vet will have medications that often times can stop the diarrhea within 12 hours or so.

Thx ! Could it be that she sneaks a bite of dry catfood here and there? Does changing wet food cause this?

Yes sneaking the cat food could cause this. Also changing the food suddenly can also cause this. If you need to change foods try mixing it gradually over 3 days and see if that helps. It sounds like she has a sensitive stomach.

Thx ! I’ll try the pumpkin and take her in tom.

You're welcome! It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night! (or day depending on what time zone you are in :)

Heath Wilkerson

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Heath Wilkerson