Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Hii ive been feeding my dog with cooked hamburger & rice-

Hii ive been feeding...

Hii ive been feeding my dog with cooked hamburger & rice- Recently I have just added kibble to the burger

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

My friends took care of my Chihuahua whilst I was on holiday He is 17 yrs old. I have been noticing what I thought was rice in his poop but as I haven’t fed him any in 2 weeks I am wondering if he has worms. He’s also had diarrhea & lost weight whilst I was away

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Chi Chi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chi?

No I can’t think of anything else

3/26/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. Normally when we see what looks like rice in the stool it is tapeworms. These are very easy to treat with one single dose of dewormer from your vet.

As for the diarrhea, if the diarrhea persist longer than 24 hours, he should be seen by her vet for fluids and electrolytes and medications to stop the diarrhea. In the mean time you can help by offering Pedialyte for hydration and electrolyte balance and some canned pumpkin to help settle his stomach. You can also give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach. You could feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next 24 hours. It is a bland diet that can help while the stomach is getting back to normal.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
He hasn’t had diarrhea for about 3 weeks. It’s the worms I’m. Oncerned about. I do give him pumpkin with his food tooThanks for the response I will be taking my dog to the vet for meds

You're welcome! It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night! (or day depending on what time zone you are in :)

Heath Wilkerson

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson