Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I’m looking for a food for my xolo puppy. I noticed that…

Hi. I’m looking for a...
Hi. I’m looking for a food for my xolo puppy. I noticed that Royal Canin and Science Diet do a lot of advertising and often visit my vet to get my vet to recommend their food. I just want an affordable healthy food for him. I tried pedigree canned puppy chow but it leaves his stools a little loose. Is there an inexpensive brand that you might recommend? I don’t want to be so cheap that it is unhealthy but I don’t want to pay so much that it breaks my budget either. I’m like this with my own groceries, I try to buy the least expensive most nutritious food for myself as well. So I don’t want the cheapest food if it isn’t nutritious. Any help is appreciated thank you.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
What I’m trying to communicate is that I would never look to feed my dog something just because it’s cheap. I do want to treat him the way I treat myself, which is to just get the most nutrition at he best price.
3/26/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Congratulations on your new addition, please make sure that any food transition is over 1 week so we can minimize the risk of gi upset with a new diet

My preference of the lower cost food is Iams, which I feel is a good option but also feed Royal Canin as well. Unfortunately Royal Canin is more pricey. My recommendation to my clients is a more organic, human grade ingredient formula such as Prairie or Wellness but they are a bit more money. Lastly, a less costly option that has no by products but also good quality is Nutro. I have several patients on this formula and it has impressed me with their quality of coat, weight management, and health of the patients on it

I hope this is helpful but please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you tonight, I am online another 30 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thanks for your help. I don’t mind royal Canin it just seems like for the money they don’t have meat as one of their first ingredients so it seems suspicious to me. I used it in the past. I have many animals, 4 cats and 1 dog and the cats used to be on Royal Canin. I could do it but I just want to be sure it’s healthy.All my animals have health insurance too. I did just shop around for that and got a better deal than my previous carrier.Anyway I like the idea of nutro. What is your opinion of Core wellness? What is it about Royal Canin that makes it better? I didn’t notice a big change with my animals and the cats were on it for a year and the dog 6 mos.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I will be sure to rate you 5 stars, sorry for that long winded follow up.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Oh, you did mention wellness. If you think that’s good I would certainly pay for that. What makes it good?

Unfortunately the "grain free" recommendation of the pet food industry is a little of a farce. Most dogs (and cats) are allergic to the protein in the food not the grain and grain is a great filler in order to minimize obesity but also minimize high protein foods which can cause issues with kidney function over time so I prefer the Wellness Complete formulas over the core

I have fed Royal Canin to my pets as well over time and if I have a choice (which sometimes I do not for medical reasons on my pets) I prefer the by product free human grade option personally

Less by products = more digestible and less fillers. I always compare it to the breyer's ice cream commercial, if you can read the ingredients out loud that's a good start

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you! Makes perfect sense. I wish I could have a better way of knowing how the food makes my animals feel. I will follow up on your advice and make the transition very gradually. Many animals with diarrhea is NOT good for anyone! For many reasons, LOL. Have a great night.

Thank you for the positive rating. You can typically tell by their coat health, their stools, and if there is itching, licking carpets, energy levels. Not all dogs are that easy to read though. I recently had to change my dogs and haven't yet noticed a bit of difference from one to the other...

I'm just following up on our conversation about Peppy. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian