Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Urinating in the house inappropriately (on dogs' beds, bath…

Urinating in the house...

Urinating in the house inappropriately (on dogs' beds, bath mats, doormats)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

It's a cat. She's under one year, actual age unknown. Probably 9 or 10 mos

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

She has two boxes, with litter she likes, easily accessible, kept scrupulously clean

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She's a cat

3/26/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

This is a very frustrating problem, I know this from personal experience with my own cats, however, I have worked out a plan of action for you, this is drawn from the practice handout which I give to clients where their cats have behaved like your one, some of these solutions have worked well.

1. The first thing to do is to have your cat checked over by your vet regarding this problem, you should do so in case there is some medical problem or other at the root of her behaviour. While this may be unlikely this is your logical starting point as you would not want to miss medical causes such as urinary tract disease. If she gets a clean bill of health at your vet then logically it must be a behavioural problem of some sort, and this is actually not uncommon in the cat.

2. When you clean up after where your cat has been dirty use one of the odour eliminator type solutions you can get from the vet or pet store. These work as they have a biological action like a washing machine soap powder and digest organic matter. In fact, a dilute solution of such a soap powder is a good thing to use as well. If you just use normal soap and water it will smell fine to you but to your cat it will still smell it afterwards, and if the place smells like a public toilet to her then she may use it as such! Make sure you leave the cleaning agent to soak for a while.

3. Best advice is to keep the litter trays well away from food or water bowls because that could be the reason she does not use the trays every time.

4. Change your cat litter to another brand which is very different in colour and texture from the brand you are using now. Also, consider using earth from the garden or peat from the garden centre instead of cat litter, it is not quite so absorbent as cat litter in terms of smells etc. but it is much more natural for the cat and might bring her back into her litter tray. If this works then you can gradually switch back to commercial cat litter.

5. This could be your best idea: Some cats start to be dirty in the house in response to some anxiety, territorial issues, perhaps to your dogs, another cat in the house or neighbourhood etc. They may just have seen another cat through the window or smelled them under the front door. Products such as Feliway can help here, some of my clients swear by Feliway and it has helped them a lot. Here is a link to this product so you can check it out: LINK

6. Some cats respond to low-level tranquillisers where territorial anxiety concerning other cats is a factor but this is the last resort, it often works well though. These are prescription drugs so you will have to talk this over with your vet.

I hope I have given you a few ideas on how to handle this frustrating problem. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

It's neither a random nor a regular occurrence, but rather seems to happen in response to an annoyance or stressor: She wet the couch once after I accidentally dropped a can and frightened her; other times, she has wet the dog beds when the dogs have bothered her. The action seems to happen very soon after the apparent cause.The only other target seems to be bath mats and entryway rugs, as if she's marking ingress/egress points?She can go weeks without any "accident". We walk on eggshells to avoid upsetting her. But it happened last night after one of the dogs inadvertently jumped upon her, not knowing she was under the blanket.

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

It is often hard to work out why cats should carry out this sort of behaviour, as you say it can sometimes be stress related, or anger related, however, whatever the cause your approach to resolving it can only be along the methods I outlined, Feliway for example often helps where there is a stress element as do ultra-low doses of tranquilisers.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you. I will check the link to see if the product is available to USA customers.Is the following info pertinent?Background: We adopted her from the shelter 1 Nov 2017 and she was spayed the next morning. We brought her home the evening of 2Nov. She immediately (Nov 3) came down with Feline Calici Virus, was seriously ill, recovered with vet-supervised round-the-clock homecare. She was well by December.She had been brought to the shelter by hikers who found her and a sibling in the sagebrush. She was scrawny, flea-riddled, matted upon arrival at the shelter.She is a bold, confident, affectionate, smart, ASSERTIVE kitten. Exceptionally bossy, in fact.One other thing: She was pure black in color, but since her spay & illness, she has turned white in every place where fur was shaved (under tail, belly, and behind ears where she had temporary hair loss). Is that relevant to anything?

Well, where a cat has a poor start in life and was neglected and had no one to look after her then yes this can sometimes affect their character, a bit like people I guess, that said I have a few stray cats myself and my experience is that many of them will eventually adapt to be good house cats, but it can be a trial sometimes.

While it is not a problem as such you do sometimes see a change in coat colour where a cat has been shaved.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I appreciate your time. We love this little cat. She's an absolute termagant but an entertaining one.
I know how you feel, I am very much a cat person myself :-)