Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 48 lb french brittany just ate dap crackshot spackling…

My 48 lb french...

My 48 lb french brittany just ate dap crackshot spackling off the wall when we were not looking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Stormy, five years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stormy?

No, he is healthy

3/26/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

How much of the spackle did she eat?

Was it wet or mostly dry?

Does she tend to have a sensitive stomach?

at least a couple of tablespoons:( at first he got a couple of licks when it was wet and we blocked the way but later when it was dry he went back and was eating it dry off the wall.

Spackling paste is not toxic, but it is a gastrointestinal irritant, and the granular debris can cause an obstruction if enough is eaten.

If Stormy only licked a small amount then he may have some nausea and loose stools from the irritation, but that should be it.

You can add 1-2 tablespoons of canned or fresh cooked pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal for fiber to help cushion the irritant effects and push the spackling through. I would also feed several small meals a day rather than one or two meals to keep his intestinal tract open and moving so the granules don't settle in his intestines.

He really should be fine unless he ate a huge amount.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Sorry about the offer of a phone call. That is an automatic, site generated offer that many licensed veterinarians are unable to fulfill. Many states/province licensing boards do not allow veterinarians to communicate via phone calls, unless they have previously physically examined a pet. The states and Province I am licensed in have that restriction. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like you can reply and ask any follow-up questions regarding my written response and I will be happy to respond to them here.

thank you very much.
I do not need a phone call.
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Phone call session started

My pleasure, glad to help. I'll ask the call and the charge for it be cancelled.

thank you, truly. I just gave him a extra scoop of food and he drank some water. Now I am taking him outside.
Can you please have them stop calling me? thank you!

I sent two messages to customer service last night to cancel the call and refund any charges associated with it. Hopefully that was taken care of for you then. If you have any questions or concerns here is the phone number for customer service: 1(###) ###-####/p>

Thank you, ***** ***** me and I was not charged. Stormy is completely fine....it came out in his poop today. I could tell because it smelled sweet, strangely enough. I thank you for your experience and expertise, I was freaking out:)

Great! I am pleased to hear that is settled and that Stormy passed the compound with no issues. I hope you have a less exciting week!